Wednesday 22 August 2012

CS3216 - My first step in the "painful" journey


First lecture and Team formation

The first week has passed by so fast. Without doubt, CS3216 began with an awesome lecture. I had chance to know all the classmates, lectures, tutors and to get feedback as well as advice from seniors. First week was also the starting point of the "painful" journey. The 34-pages assignment 1 gave me a mixed feelings as expected. Soon after that, my team is formed with Dennis, Murali, Inian and me. We finally decided our project to be the Facebook standalone application that is able to control all household appliances including turning on/off and dimming lights, fans, and other electrical devices.

Project started as it should be

Our project is started and the main focus is not software though. Despite that, I will be the one who is taking care of the Facebook API and its documentation. I also have to admit that 34 pages of  'Assignment 1' are very helpful although it makes me feel a little bit scared at the beginning. Now, I can create a Facebook application  using Facebook PHP SDK, get user information via Graph API and FQL. However, there are still a lot of things need to understand and explore (exploit also : p). Moreover, this is my first time using AWS, Git, PHP and so many other tools. It is so helpful and amazing to learn so much stuffs in the workshop right at the end of the first week. I'm sure this is the module that will take lots of my time throughout the entire semester and I am definitely happy about that.

2 comments:

  1. That's quite a cool project. The only thing is that you now have hardware and software parts, yet still have the same deadline as other people who are only working on software.

    So keep an eye on the clock ya. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question: what has an app controlling household applications have to do with Facebook?

    In other words, how exactly are you exploiting the social network API in the app?

    ReplyDelete